A WiFi extender helps to get internet in those areas where you do not receive a network from the router. The Netgear extender connects to the root router and extends its network to get rid of the WiFi dead spots in the home. But you first need to make the connection between the router and extender so that you can complete the extender setup using the web interface or app.
Many users have reported getting stuck and unable to complete the setup of the WiFi extender. They come across issues like www.mywifiext.net refused to connect
. Are you also one of such users? Since you are reading this post, we conclude the above statement to be true. This post highlights the topmost fixes that’ll help you remove the hindrance and get your extender setup done. All you ought to do is read the post and apply the solutions discussed here.
How to Fix Netgear Extender Setup Issues?
You have three ways to set up the WiFi extender. First, we will tell you common solutions that you should apply and later we will tell you about method-specific solutions. Let’s begin.
1. Reboot the Devices
Simple power cycle or reboot process is what you should try before trying anything else. Power down all the devices in use i.e. the Netgear WiFi extender, host router, and the device on which you are trying to access the Netgear extender setup page. Let the devices
sit this way for 5 minutes minimum. After that, follow this sequence while powering them up: router > extender > phone or PC. Once the devices boot up, carry out the setup process.
2. Check the Power Connection
All the devices that are involved in the setup process should be fully powered on and receive a consistent power supply. Thus, examine all the power cables and the power sockets in use. If a laptop is put to use then check its battery status. Mend anything that’s not working properly or is damaged. Simply put, all you need to verify here is that a fluctuating power connection is not halting the process.
3. Place the Devices Closer
As you need to make the connection between the Netgear WiFi extender and host router, it is essential that you place them close enough. Place them in such a way that it is quite easy for them to have a smooth communication. Bring them to the same room and then see if you can complete the setup process or not.
4. Make a LAN Connection
You can connect the Netgear WiFi extender to the host router by putting to use a LAN cable as well. We recommend you go for a LAN connection if the WiFi connection seems a little difficult. However, you must own a good cable and make a strong connection between the devices. Verify the connection and then go to the setup page to complete the setup instructions. After setting up the extender, access MyNetgear portal
and create an account.
Netgear Extender Setup Issues: Method-Specific Fixes
Web Interface Method
- Make sure that you are using an updated internet browser to go to the extender setup page.
- Clean the browser’s cache and cookies beforehand to avoid any issues.
- Use the right default admin username and password to log in.
- Confirm that your laptop or computer is connected to the Netgear WiFi extender network.
Nighthawk App Method
- Download the correct Netgear Nighthawk app from the respective Application Store.
- Check that the app is up to date. Consider updating it before setting up the extender.
- Connect your phone to the extender’s WiFi, else the app won’t work. Find the extender’s default SSID and WiFi password on its label.
- Bring the phone within the extender’s network.
- Press the correct buttons on both devices.
- Do not delay for more than 2 minutes while pressing the WPS button on the second device.
- Place them next to each other while using the WPS method.
The solutions discussed in this post will be helpful to you to get your Netgear wireless range extender setup done without any hassle.